Buffalo Yacht Club
The opening of the Erie Canal in 1825 spurred the growth of Buffalo. The concomitant influx of yachtsmen from the East Coast nurtured the formation of the Buffalo Yacht Club. Early in August 1859 a small group initiated this action and on August 10, 1860 they adopted a constitution and by-laws naming John S. Newkirk as the first Commodore. We have a proud heritage as perhaps the third oldest yacht club in continuous operation in the United States.
The club began in 1860 with about a dozen men who paid an initiation fee of $3 and annual dues of $2. There are now over 600 members in all categories. The rolls over the years have listed many illustrious Buffalonians including President Grover Cleveland.